The historic restoration of Pelham Arcade, Hastings, thought to be one of England’s first ‘shopping malls’. Included full lantern restoration and re-forming of historic arches as part of a English Heritage grant.
Originally designed in circa 1823 by Joseph Kay for Sir Thomas Pelham as part of the scheme for Pelham Crescent the vaulted structure was an important component of the Regency Town. Introduced to England from Paris by John Nash and first appearing in London’s Royal Opera Arcade of 1817, the Arcade provided shops for the sale of all fashionable merchandise and is considered to be one of the oldest examples of a covered shopping mall in the country.
Now a Grade Two Star listed building, Baker Architectural are working with Hastings Borough Council and Heritage England in the ongoing restoration of the arcade. The crescent shaped semi-subterranean arcade, entered asymmetrically from the west, in an otherwise symmetrical composition features large stone and brick vaults, with a large timber lantern over. When completed the ongoing restoration will see the lantern restored to its former glory, with traditional materials and workmanship. The seaside frontage will be restored to a sympathetic style of the original, reintroducing the Regency arches and rusticated render finish.
Once completed the notable project will truly be the pride and focus of the towns seafront.